A minor starch iodine test is carried out to identify exactly where the sweat glands are. The armpit is covered with iodine and corn starch is applied. The perspiration combines the iodine and glucose in the starch and turns black instantly. This helps the nurse when administering muscle relating solution so she can concentrate injections in certain places. Around 12-20 injections of muscle relaxant are given in the affected areas of the body.
- The procedure takes about 30 – 45 minutes
- The needle used is very fine and only a tiny amount of substance is used meaning pain is minimal. No sedation or local anesthetic is required.
You should notice that your sweating has reduced considerably within 3 to 7 days of treatment. We aim not to perform any top-up treatments within a 3 months period following the treatment as recommended by the manufacturers. Possible side effects are small bruises as a result of the injections (which should disappear within a few days). Sore muscles and itchiness around the injection sites are also possible, however will disappear within a week or two (and have no bearing on your daily life).
Who shouldn’t have the treatment:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women
- Anyone suffering from diseases affecting nerve damage or muscle weakness, or a family history of these
- Anyone being treated with amnio glycoside or spectinomycin should wait until their treatment is finished
- Anyone who has had an allergic reaction to human albumin
How much does the treatment cost?:
The price of this treatment is £200 per armpit.
Booking your treatment:
All our treatments are available to book via our booking line, Facebook, 07581212011 or by calling 01983 867131